In addition to following the steps to enroll in classes at Montcalm Community College, follow these guidelines to apply for Veterans Educational Benefits:
- Apply online at vets.gov
- Select “Apply for Educational Benefits” and follow the instructions
- You will need to have decided which “Chapter” you are applying for in order to complete this application. You, as a veteran, may be eligible for more than one “chapter” of the GI Bill. Please contact the Veterans Administration at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551) to assist in deciding which one would best meet your educational needs.
- Submit your application along with a copy of you current class schedule to MCC's VA office. MCC’s VA Office will certify the form and mail the material to the Veteran’s Administration. Processing of the paper form will take approximately six weeks.
- Complete and submit a “Request for Utilization of Veteran Education Benefits” form available in the MCC’s VA Office, located in the upper level of the Donald C. Burns Administration/Library Building.
- Your enrollment will be certified on the VA website by MCC’s certifying official.
VA Voc Rehab (Chapter 31) will skip the above process and instead go directly to www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/:
- Select “How to Apply”
- Select “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits" and follow instructions
- In order to receive VA Educational Benefits, you must be pursuing a degree or certificate program that has been approved by the VA. The Veterans Certifying Official, located in Student Services in the upper level of the Donald C. Burns Administration/Library Building on the college’s Sidney campus, can tell you if the program you are interested in is approved by the VA.
- The Veterans Certifying Official will open a file for you and complete an Enrollment Certification form to activate your benefits, once you provide a copy of your DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility AND request to utilize veteran educational benefits.
- To obtain a copy of your DD-214, go to michiganveterans.com/a/DD-214-Requests
- After applying for Educational Benefits, please contact the MCC Veteran’s Office in the upper level of the Donald C. Burns Administration/Library Building on the college’s Sidney campus. Please note: The Certifying Official in the MCC Veterans Office does not determine your eligibility for benefits. Your eligibility for benefits is determined by the Veterans Affairs Office when you apply online. This takes up to 30 days to process. Tuition and fees are due to MCC as outlined in the tuition payment schedule, regardless of when students will receive their benefits check. The Veterans Certifying Official will open a file for you and complete an Enrollment Certification form to activate your benefits, once you provide a copy of your DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility AND an MCC request for utilization of Veteran Education Benefit.