Michigan Reconnect provides financial support for adult students to go to community college or earn a GED.
If you are 25 years old or older and don’t have a college degree, you may be eligible to attend Montcalm Community College tuition-free as an in-district student, or at a reduced rate if out of district.
Michigan Reconnect is part of the state’s Sixty by 30 attainment goal, which aims to meet Michigan’s talent needs by encouraging and enabling residents to afford and achieve a college credential.
How to Apply
- Apply for the Michigan Reconnect Scholarship.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- If you have taken classes at MCC within the past 12 months, register for the most recent semester classes.
- If it has been one year or longer since you last took class at MCC, please contact the Student Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (989) 328-1277 to determine your next step before registering for classes.
Michigan Reconnect is a scholarship program that pays for you to attend your in-district community college, and offers a large tuition discount if you attend an out-of-district community college.
You can use the scholarship to complete an associate degree or a skill certificate program.
To be eligible, you must:
Be at least 25 years old when you apply
Have lived in Michigan for a year or more
Have a high school diploma or equivalent
Have not yet completed a college degree (associate or bachelor’s)
Reconnect will ensure that when you get your semester bill from the community college, the following items will be free to you:
- In-district tuition* - Free
- Mandatory fees (fees charged to all students per semester or per hour) - Free
- Contact hours (extra charges for certain courses and programs) - Free
If you enroll in a school in which you are an out-of-district student, Reconnect will pay the in-district portion of your tuition but you will have to pay the additional amount charged to out-of-district students. Reconnect is a last-dollar program, which means that any Pell grant funds you receive are applied to your tuition and fees bill first, with Reconnect paying what’s not covered by Pell. If you don’t qualify for a Pell grant, Reconnect will pay the full cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and contact hours.
*When applying to Montcalm Community College, ask us to estimate these costs that are not covered by Reconnect to avoid any surprises when you receive your first bill.