Closeup of laptop and notebooks

Dual Enrollment Overview


Dual Enrollment is available if you are enrolled in at least one high school course, and have not been in high school for more than four years. You must also meet specific test score targets and/or the specific eligibility requirements set by your high school. The two main tests utilized to gauge readiness for college level course work are the SAT or the ACCUPLACER. 


A district may elect to support your enrollment in a subject area for which you have not yet achieved a qualifying score or utilize a different test if it has been determined to be in your best educational interest. 


What classes can be taken?

All credit-granting courses offered at MCC are available to students through Dual Enrollment, except courses in the subject area of physical education, theology, divinity, or religious education.


Also, if your high school offers an Advanced Placement (AP) class in a particular subject, the AP class may be taken instead of the corresponding MCC class. For example, successful completion of AP Language may grant a student credit for ENGL 100.


How many classes can be taken?

Throughout the program you can take up to a total of 10 classes. These limits can be exceeded with written permission from your high school. The number of classes allowed per year depends on what grade you are in when you begin taking college classes. 


  • Freshmen may take not more than two courses per year in 9th, 10th and 11th grade, and not more than four courses in 12th grade.
  • Sophomoresmay take not more than two courses in 10th grade and not more than four courses in 11th and 12th grade. 
  • Juniors may take not more than six courses per year.
  • Seniors may take not more than six courses per year.

What classes should be taken?

If MCC classes are offered in your high school, they have been strategically selected as good options for students. If you wish to eventually transfer to a university for a bachelor’s degree, utilizing our Liberal Studies Certificate as your guide to picking classes will ensure the greatest likelihood the classes you take will transfer.


What to do if a class is full?

Contact the MCC Student Services Department if you are interested in joining a class that is full. It is possible we will be able to add you, but not guaranteed.


MCC has two academic semesters in the traditional high school year; Fall Semester (August – December), and Spring Semester (January – May). Dual Enrollment does not take place over the summer term, but you can enroll in summer classes on your own. In this case, the tuition and fees will not be paid by your high school and will be your responsibility. 


For every college course you are enrolled in, you may take at least one slot of your school day off. You are not required to take your Dual Enrollment classes only during that scheduled time off. You are welcome to take classes in the morning, afternoon, evening, and online with your high school counselor’s permission. You need to work with your high school counselor to build an appropriate schedule. 


High schools provide tuition assistance for Dual Enrollment classes up to an approved dollar amount  per course. The tuition allotment is the same regardless of the course. At MCC, tuition is charged based on course contact hours (the amount of time you spend with the instructor). Not all courses cost the same. If enrolled in more than one course all tuition and fees are combined and paid using your total allotment of money from your school. In the event your total tuition bill exceeds your total allotment of money from your school, the remaining tuition balance will be billed to you. If your total tuition bill does not exceed your total allotment of money from your high school, you may be able to use your remaining funds for textbooks at the MCC bookstore, depending on your high school. Extra funds may not be shared between students or rolled over to the next semester. All funds are maintained in your student account by the MCC billing office. 


If you fail your course, you are required to pay back your high school for the costs they paid on your behalf.

Student Services Department