Veterans Benefits Transition Act Policy
MCC will permit any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website at www.ebenefits.va.gov, or a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
- 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
MCC will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, or any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.
In addition, MCC requires the covered individual to take the following actions:
- Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance no later than the first day of a course of education.
- Submit a written request to use such entitlement.
- Provide additional information necessary for the proper certification of enrollment by the educational institution such as:
- Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment - Request to Utilize Form - DD214 - Form 28-1905 - CC ROI - Student Contact Information Form
- Chapter 33 - Post - 9/11 GI Bill Benefits - Request to Utilize Form - DD214 - Student Contact Information Form - Certificate of Eligibility
All forms are located in the Financial Aid Office on the Sidney campus.
MCC will require additional payment for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.